This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

Sharpness of characters

Jan 11, 2013 at 10:14 AM

I have a question regarding the rendering of text strings.

I am using a character style with Font = Tahoma, Size = 11, SizeInPoints = 8.25. The ZoomLevel of the display is set to 100. With these settings all text strings look a little bit blurred. Other controls in my application are set also to Tahoma 8.25 and they are rendered definitly sharper.

What is the reason of this and is there a way to improve the sharpeness?

Jan 14, 2013 at 9:31 AM

The text is rendered by filling a GraphicsPath containing the text. In order to improve performance, the framework does *not* draw the border of this graphics path.
In addition to this, the text is usually not aligned to full pixels. You can see a similiar effect in WPF applications with complex layout and "SnapsToDevicePixels" deactivated, although the WPF characters are not that unsharp due to hardware accellerated DirectX rendering.

You can try different character style settings (smaller/larger font size, bold font style) to reduce the effect a little bit but due to the alignment problem in combination with the GDI+ software rendering, the characters will never be 100% sharp.